Monday, August 10, 2026

Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey

This is a combination memoir/positive affirmations book. I listened to this on audiobook and Matthew talks exactly how I would expect him to. He is a free spirit and rolls with the punches in life. He comes across as open, honest, assertive, and full of life. I have a new admiration for his wife. Ha! He can also be incredibly funny. There were a few times that I literally laughed out loud as he was sharing some of his stories.

Matthew initially thought he wanted to be an attorney. He came to acting later than a lot of people do, switching his college major from law to film. Once he started taking film classes, he ventured into acting. I was actually surprised to learn that he had a small role in Dazed and Confused and then managed to talk his way into the starring role in A Time to Kill, which was originally meant for Woody Harrelson. It's rare that a relatively unknown actor with few roles under his belt (most of them very minor) could finagle his way into a starring role - but that's exactly what he managed to do. Of course the success of this film skyrocketed Matthew to stardom.

Matthew's childhood was very interesting. You can honestly say that his parents were "spirited" people. They married each other three times and divorced each other twice. Matthew's father believed in making men of his sons, which involved physical aggression. It wouldn't be a parenting method that would work today, but it's how Matthew was raised. I would guess he didn't carry that over for raising his own children though!

Matthew spends a lot of time talking about his journey through life; his adventures to other parts of the world; his spirituality; his determination to make a "pivot" in his life when he decides he wants to do something else. He definitely has a "can do" mentality. Nothing stops him from doing what he thinks is best for him and his family. The book is filled with "Bumper Sticker slogans" and "Greenlights", which he sees as signs to move forward. Very entertaining.

Wendy's Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment