I liked this book a lot. More than I thought I would. Although Jennie talks about her childhood, her relationships, and her show business career (how she got her start, etc), this book is more than that. I could really identify with some of things she said about how many of us live our lives: trying to be who we think other people want us to be.
Jennie is honest about her struggles, including bouts of depression that really seemed to take her out of life more than once. What I admire about her is that she would continually pick herself up and explore new ways to understand herself better and forge a new path for herself and her family. She is continually trying to be a better person, a better role model for her daughters, and she refuses to let herself (and her daughters) get too caught up in living the "Hollywood life". She seems to have firm boundaries and she's not shy about telling her daughters "no" if she doesn't like the direction they are headed (ie drinking at age 15 at parties thrown by their friends whose parents are superstars/famous with tons of money.)
Jennie has a strong work ethic, which most likely comes from growing up on a farm. Farming is not for the faint of heart. She actually wanted to dance, but now acknowledges that she would have never made it as a dancer. She was seen at a pageant that her mother encouraged her to enter. She didn't win, but that event propelled her onto a different path - which led to 90210. Once thing I really understand now (after reading so many memoirs) is that just because you hit it big in a TV show or movie, it doesn't mean you have it made. Doors don't just simply open in this line of work. Even stars have to audition, accept constant rejection, and fight for roles they really want. And sometimes it just doesn't happen, so you have to reinvent yourself. Jennie veered off into podcasting and fashion.
Jennie talks about the mistakes she's made and about the importance of forgiving yourself for those mistakes. She talks about relationships. She had two failed marriages, and she nearly got divorced a third time until her and her husband really sat down and talked. She has learned that marriage should not be two people joining to be "one", but two separate people who are each their own person but merge in the middle of shared goals, values, and interests. Jennie is incredibly family-oriented and it's not just "talk" for her. Her family comes first. Always. One other thing she said that I really love is using the phrase, "We'll see." We can't predict what opportunities are going to come our way. We don't know if something bad that happens will turn out good in the end, or vice versa. Instead of worrying about it, simply tell yourself, "We'll see." I love that.
Wendy's Rating: ****
No comments:
Post a Comment